Five Academic Writing Tips That Ensure You Score Top Grades
If the task of completing a research paper in time seems too daunting to you, or if no matter how hard you try you just can’t get that A grade for your thesis. This article will be of help to you. This article gives you the most important tips which will help you in getting top grades in each of your assignments:
- Understand the deliverables: The first step linked to any academic article’s preparation involves reviewing and understanding the requirements. Make sure you understand the questions asked and all the requirements of your research. If you do not understand the task given to you correctly or if you misinterpret it, all your hard work will go down the drain.
Once you understand the question, make a list of all the topics and sub-topics which you need to explain in the paper. You should make a list such that it has enough topics and relevant terms so that you can summarise it later and combine the related topics so the reader can understand it easily.
- Research your topic: Once you make the list of topics and summarise it, it is time to do to some brainstorming and research on the shortlisted topics. You must keep in mind all the subtopics and points which need to be answered in your report so that you can explain them better. Include instances of both qualitative and quantitative types of research in your academic piece of writing to support your work. Give reference to sources of any surveys and statistical data that you have used in your research. Since qualitative analysis mostly uses the traditional approach of social human interaction, it is better to convey that information with the help figures and images where possible.
You should look for previously published papers and researches for inspiration and build upon that. You should never copy someone else’s research because if your teachers find out that your work is plagiarised it can have serious repercussions directly on your grades. Although you can use certain aspects of previous researches in your paper to give it more credibility provided you give proper references use citations where it is required.
- Plan Your Work: Now that you have figured out what you are supposed to write in your academic article, its time deciding how you're going to write it.
Always keep in mind the date by which you have to submit your assignment so that you can properly manage time for each section. Give a specified amount of time for each part of the academic report from start to finish, from researching the topics to creating the final draft and proofreading. Figure out the sections which are going to make the most amount of time and the sections which would take the least amount of time and plan accordingly.
- Writing: Writing translates your research and finding into readable content. This makes the writing style and approach imperative towards top quality assignment preparation. This doesn’t mean previous steps do not matter and they are just as important as writing the academic article because they help you in doing so efficiently.
You must read previous papers or the dissertations of your friends to get an idea about the format in which you have to write if you are not already familiar with it. Assume that the reader already has a basic idea about the topic on which you are writing. Make sure you use the terminology related to the specific topic of your research. Most academic writing articles have an introduction, the discussion, and a conclusion in it. You have to decide how much time and efforts you have to dedicate in each of them. Most people follow a pattern of 10-80-10. 10 per cent to the introduction, 80 per cent to the body and the remaining 10 per cent of your document to the conclusion. You may follow the same or decide by yourself according to the needs and format of your particular topic.
The introduction should be brief and concise. It should be intriguing enough to keep the reader interested in reading further. It should state all the questions raised and the argument which you are going to put up.
The body section of your article is one of the most important sections of your academic writing. It should mention all the relevant questions that are needed to be answered for the paper and your explanation for them. It should represent your point of view in an argumentative manner. You can use references with proper citations to give your point some strength and to emphasise more on its importance.
The conclusion is an important aspect of your thesis since it is the summary of all the topics and points that are in the article. It should give a brief explanation of the answers you have provided in it and the areas or further research which can be done.
- Finalising Your Work: After completing the report check with the list of topics you initially set out to include in your work and see if there is anything you left out or if there is any topic which needs further explaining and then makes the required changes in your paper and make a final draft. After you've completed making the final draft which answers all the questions required, save and set it aside.
Congratulations you have almost completed your work and now there is only one thing left to do which is the final proofreading. You must always proofread your work for typographical errors and to check the final format of your research paper before submitting it to your teachers. But sometimes if you get into proofreading right after completing the final draft chances are that you might miss out on a couple of typos or topics because your mind is still preoccupied with all of the topics and subjects of your academic writing article. Therefore it is best to set your final draft aside and take a break to clear your head before you start with the proofreading. If you don't have enough time to take a break you can get help from a friend to look it over for any errors before submitting it. As proofreading is the last line of defence in your work, you can’t help but be extra sure about it, because once you submit your work to the teachers or the review panel you can’t make any changes in the document after that point.
Hope this article helped in finding out the best possible way to do your academic writing paper efficiently and helps you to score top grades on your next task.