How to Fix The Semaphore Timeout Period Has Expired Error?
Error code 0x80070079 is one of the standard errors that usually occurs due to interference in transferring data using the wireless network. In case you are trying to create a backup or shifting any sorts of files from your system to the external drive and end up facing such an issue. There is no need to worry as here you will learn how to eradicate it by using the best and reliable solution.
First of all, users are required to identify why such error occurred in the first place. For that, let’s begin with the underneath method and resolve it accordingly.
Method 1: Running DISM and SFC Scans
If you are getting such error due to missing, damaged, or corrupt files, then one can resolve it by running Deployment Image Servicing and Management along with System File Checker scanning tools. To do that, follow the underneath crucial points:
- First and foremost, launch your system’s Run dialog by tapping on the Win + R button simultaneously.
- After that, insert CMD into the required field.
- Now, select Ctrl + Shift + Enter button to open Command prompt elevated form.
- In the Command Prompt, enter SFC/scannow and proceed.
Wait patiently for a few minutes until the system file checker scanning process wraps up on your system. After the completion of SCF scans, pursue the given below steps to completely eradicate the error. For that, all you need to do is initiate the DISM scan. Here’s how to do it:
- Again, launch the command prompt by using the Run Dialog box.
- Now, execute the DISM/Online/Cleanup-Image/Restore-Health command.
- Likewise, sit tight and wait until the DISM scan finishes up.
Method 2: Temporarily Deactivation of the Antivirus and Firewall
As we know, the 0x80070079 error code occurs when there’s a disturbance caused during the file transfer using a wireless network. Most importantly, there is a possibility the error occurs due to the interference of your system’s antivirus or firewall. So, to eradicate such a problem, make sure to follow the listed below instructions and learn how to deactivate the firewall and antivirus as well.
Disable the Antivirus
- Tap on Windows key + I and open system’s Setting app.
- Go to the Update & Security option.
- Now, head straight to the left pane and choose Windows Security.
- Tap on the Virus & Threat Protection available on the right pane.
- Select the Virus & Threat Protection Setting section.
- Then Manage the Setting option.
- At last, tap to toggle the switch to Off under Real-Time Protection.
Secondly, to disable the firewall, check out the following steps:
- Tap on the Start menu on the taskbar.
- Go to the Search bar and type Firewall.cpl.
- Click on the best match from the following list.
- Choose the Turn the Windows Defender Firewall to Off on the left pane menu.
- After that, head to the Public Network Setting and follow the same prompts.
- Tap on the Ok button to apply the changes.
Once you have completed the steps as mentioned earlier to disable the firewall and antivirus, send files again to check whether the problem is resolved or not.
Method 3: Update Wireless Network Adapters
In case you are such a 0x80070079 error code on your device due to network adapters. So, it is recommended to update the drivers to fix it. Here is how you can update wireless network adapter drivers conveniently:
- To begin with, press and hold the Win + R button simultaneously to launch the Run Dialog box.
- In the Run dialog box, insert devmgmt.msc into the required field.
- Tap the Ok button and proceed.
- Once the Device Manager window shows up, tap on (+) to expand the Network Adapter category.
- Now, right on your system’s network adapter.
- Then, choose the Update Driver option.
- A new window will pop up; click on Search Automatically for Updated Driver Software option.
- Lastly, reboot the system after the update process wraps up.
Method 4: Get Rid of HDD Entries
The 0x80070079 error code might be protecting users from using the HDD frequently. So, it is better to check for the old HDD entries present before proceeding further. For that, head straight to the Device Manager and look for external drives past entries. In case you found any, then remove them by following the given guidelines.
- Click on the Taskbar and right-tap on the Windows icon.
- Choose Driver Manage from the list.
- Then, tap on the Universal Serial Bus Controllers and expand its contents.
- Now, check if HDD is available in the list of devices.
- Select your HDD old entries and right-click on them.
- In the end, tap and select Disable Device.
Method 5: Set your External Device to NTFS
In case you want to transfer a big size file, then it is best to set your external device to NTFS. Otherwise, you will end up getting trouble like the 0x80070079 error code. Before that, users also need to format the external drive and then follow the essential steps to overcome the problem quite conveniently. Those necessary steps are:
- Choose your external drive and right-click on it.
- In the Context menu, tap on the Format option.
- Then, click on NTFS.
- Now, hit the Quick Format.
- Now, try shifting your data again and check if the 0x80070079 error code is gone or not.
Method 6: Perform a Clean Boot
Clean boot is one of the best possible solutions to resolve the issue on your system. However, make sure to deactivate the non-Windows services and stop the programs that may not be required at the moment. Here is what you need to pursue:
- Head to the Start Menu and click on the Search Box.
- Type Run and choose the best match from the list.
- In the Run Dialog box, enter MSConfig into the required field and hit the Enter button.
- Now, the System Configuration window will show up, go to the Services tab.
- Tap to select checkbox Hide All Microsoft Services.
- Then, press Disable All option.
- Click on Save to apply the changes.
- At last, reboot your Windows system.
Aurora is an engineer by day and writer by night. Previously, Aurora worked as a certified technicians for a tech hardware startup. In her free time, she likes to write about printers, routers, web browsers, and other technical stuff. She majorly writes for lexmark printer support etc.