Ensuring good UX and developing a superlative web design are two very important website development services offered by most web-designing firms. Read below to understand how they do it.
Today the website’s importance as a business marketing tool cannot be ignored. However, just designing and uploading a website is not enough. To stay competitive and survive in the cutthroat online business world it is important to have a responsive and functional website.
This need arises from the fact that the website is used to drive web traffic, enhance user engagement and ensure a good user experience. While employing a website application development company is a good decision, the concerned e-commerce company should ensure that they are aligned with the goals of the company viz:
- Driving web traffic,
- Enhancing user engagement and
- Ensuringa good user experience.
To facilitate these, the website designing firms need to look into certain important factors that define the essence of website designing and good UX. These factors include:
- Simple, clutter-free design: Bombarding the audience with too much information leads to confusion. Thus, websites need to follow a minimalistic approach to ensure a no-nonsense user experience. A website that is simple in design and non-cluttered enables users to understand exactly what the website stands for, the services and products available and how to navigate the website to avail the products and services advertised.
- Responsive web design: Today users access websites from several devices like smartphones, laptops, tablets, smart TVs, etc. This increases the importance of websites to be responsive. A responsive website can conform and adjust to different viewing ports and screen sizes. Thus, one website is designed and it is automatically optimized for access using different devices. A responsive web design benefits a company in multiple ways like:
- Attracting a wider audience,
- Easier monitoring of analytics,
- Relatively hassle-free maintenance,
- Boosting the website SEO,
- Maintaining the consistency of the web design and the company brand,
- Reducing bounce rates and
- Improving conversions.
Since a responsive design makes the website sensitive to the device capabilities and screen dimensions of different devices, it helps to meet the requirements that a company has from its website.
- Visual hierarchy: This is a crucial element of a web design as it helps to influence user flow and user decisions strategically by enabling the human eye to perceive the website in that order. It decides the placement of the elements so that the website can draw the user’s attention to the most important ones on the screen. Thus maintaining the visual hierarchy within the website is crucial to increase its usability, usefulness, and desirability by:
- Imparting important information to the users,
- Communicating content relationships and
- Creating an emotional impact
- Readability: This is a measurement of how easily website visitors process the information put up on the website. Since poor readability tends to scare away web visitors, it forms a crucial part of website development services provided by awebdesigning firm. Achieving website readability is, however, quite easy and can be accomplished by incorporating:
- User-friendly headers,
- Scannable texts,
- White spaces,
- Proper text density,
- Good information organisation,
- Clean graphics,
- Separators and
- Good margins.
Additionally placing the proper emphasis on elements is also important as it also helps to maintain the visual hierarchy.
- Ease of navigation: This plays a critical role in distinguishing a brand. Navigation that enables web visitors to access information and webpages easily:
- Encourages web visitors to spend more time on the website,
- Spend time perusing the content uploaded and
- Have a positive UX.
This increases their brand loyalty thereby resulting en enhanced lead generation, conversions and sales. Some of the best website navigation practices include:
- Navigation bar should be prominently positioned on the website,
- Position of navigation bar should be consistent on all pages,
- Order of placement should be as per the “Serial Position Effect”,
- Use of generic words should be avoided and words specific and relevant to the action should be included,
- Minimal use of navigation is always recommended,
- Call-to-actions and next step recommendations should be prominently displayed etc.
Adopting the above will ensure that web visitors face no ambiguity in navigating through the website. Since most web visitors enter a website with a purpose in mind, ease of navigation will give them clarity of action.
Certain other tools like website accessibility, ensuring load speed etc., also enable web visitors to have a good digital journey within the website. Having an engaging homepage not only enables good UX, it also helps to entice and attract more web visitors.