Experts recommend the car owners, who decide to completely tune their car, to start with sound/vibration insulation of the cabin. For these purposes, you will need to buy special materials that are sold in the car market or in specialized stores.
Experts recommend the car owners, who decide to completely tune their car, to start with sound/vibration insulation of the cabin. For these purposes, you will need to buy special materials that are sold in the car market or in specialized stores. The next step is to completely disassemble the interior and remove the old insulating upholstery. However, if you use the service of cheap suv rental denver airport, you can get the quietest cars, which will please you during driving.
In case, you still eager to make the sound insolation, this article is just for you!
All work on car sound insulation can be divided according to the following tasks:
1. Vibration and noise insulation, which reduces:
- the vibration load of the car;
- the noise level that comes from the engine compartment, gearbox, reducing road noise;
- the noise made by the interior decorative components.
2. Creating the right acoustics - improving the sound by vibration-noise isolation of components to create conditions for the correct sound and speaker functioning.
3. Thermal insulation of the cabin.
Here are some of the features of various body parts’ noise insulation:
Soundproofing the hood lid contributes to the thermal insulation of the engine in winter (but at the same time, a material that is resistant to high temperatures is selected);
Soundproofing the doors greatly reduces external noise, and helps to improve the sound of the music system in the car;
Soundproofing the roof and ceiling of the car helps to remove extraneous noise from extraneous vehicles and completely changes the feeling of the car in heavy rain;
Soundproofing the car floor reduces the roadway noise and the impact of stones from under the wheels to the bottom of the car. For this part of the car, it is recommended to use the best noise protection in terms of quality;
Soundproofing wheel arches is the most common type of work carried out, since the main source of noise in a moving car is always the wheel system.
There are two types of this material, and each one reduces noise in its own way.
Types of car sound insulation materials:
- Vibration dampers
They reduce vibration amplitudes and mechanical vibrations of car body parts. Due to their viscoelastic properties, the noise generated in the vehicle units is absorbed and converted into heat energy. Vibration dampers are made of viscous bituminous mastics on a step made of metallized foil. The vibrations are perceived by the foil, but are lost in the viscous bitumen. For ease of installation, glue is applied to the back of each sheet, which allows the sheet to be attached to the car body parts.
- Noise barriers
They act as porous barriers to sound, suppressing them to their minimum values. Due to their flexibility, they can be installed on parts of any configuration, usually in the interior and trunk of a car. The cellular structure of such noise insulation splits one big sound into many small sounds, and distributes them evenly. The loudest noise will dissolve in it and will not disturb your comfort.
Installation of noise insulation
Of course, after choosing a noise isolator, you will think about its installation. There are two options – to do it yourself or to contact a specialist. In order to save money, you can do the work yourself, but in the first instance, we strongly recommend to familiarize yourself with all details of the process. Start work only when you understand exactly the principles and the technology of the procedure in accordance with the make and model of your vehicle. When performing sound insulation procedure, it is important to disassemble each part carefully without breaking them and then to assemble them correctly.
To get a high-quality result, you need to:
- Lay a vibration-insulating material on the inner surfaces of the body in several layers, the specificity of which is to reduce the level of vibrations that occur during driving.
- After that, a soundproofing pad is mounted, which also fits in several layers. In both cases, special materials are glued over the entire body surface. Particular attention in this process should be paid to hard-to-reach places, and for better thermal shrinkage of insulators, you can use a dryer.
- The final stage is the assembly of the cabin. In this case, high-quality seals should be used, which will ensure a snug fit of the finishing elements. In addition, if tuning of the trim is also planned, then this procedure is easier to perform with each, separately taken and already dismantled, element, which will save time on re-disassembling the cabin.
To sum it all up, the main purpose of noise insulation is to reduce sound and vibration load, create comfort for the driver and passenger, eliminate annoying squeaks of various interior elements, and improve the comfortable feeling of driving a car. That is why today it is useful for most of the drivers.