Fibromyalgia is a condition that includes muscle pain and fatigue (loss of strength) as the main symptom. Psychological problems and sleep problems may also occur due to Fibromyalgia. Check out below for causes, symptoms, and Yoga for fibromyalgia.
The exact cause for Fibromyalgia is still unknown but following are considered to be some likely causes:
- Disorders of sleep
- Dy’s functioning of the autonomous nervous system
- Muscle injury
- Infectious agents like virus
- Abnormalities of the immune system
- Physical or mental problems and
- Genetic problems
- Loss of memory
- Frequent pain and other physical problems may also result in fear, anxiety, frustration etc.
- Fibromyalgia mainly affects the attachment of muscles to bones.
Physical exercises that include stretching of muscles and relaxation techniques are the main recommended treatments for Fibromyalgia patient.
TREATMENT OF FIBROMYALGIA WITH YOGA:
Patients suffering from Fibromyalgia have many benefits from yoga exercise, breathing, and meditation techniques. Yoga does not require any special equipment and they can be easily done on the bed also.
Stretching and relaxation of major muscles can be done by yoga exercises and tension can also be relieved. Yoga exercises involving compressions are very useful for patients with fibromyalgia as they stimulate blood circulation, stimulate hormones, relax tight muscles and supply fresh oxygen to the body.
Yoga helps in:
- Decreasing muscle pain
- Increasing stamina
- Regulating mood
- Relieving depression
- Improvement of concentration
YOGA POSES RECOMMENDED FOR FIBROMYALGIA:
RECLINED HIP OPENER:
This pose helps in stretching of pelvis and tightness of muscles and pain can be reduced by using this pose.
Helps in stretching of legs and reduces pain. It improves breathing and helps in the supply of fresh oxygen to the body.
This pose relieves tension of back and shoulder and this pose should be practiced 3 times on each side for better results.
DOWNWARD FACING DOG:
This pose is very useful for shoulders and back
This pose improves blood flow to the throat and the head. With fingers wide open place hands on thighs and bend the knees. Mouth and eyes are opened as wide as possible. Blinking of eyes should be avoided. This pose is maintained until eyes start to water.
This pose improves the flexibility of spine and strengthens muscles.
- The functioning of lungs is improved by this asana
- This asana provides relief from stiffness of the body and also back pain.
- This asana avoids stiffness
- This asana is mainly used to prevent and relieve stiffness of shoulders
- This asana provides good stretching exercise for the body
- All posterior muscles get stretched and relaxed by this asana
- It cures all disorders of respiration
- It helps in exercising all side muscles of the body and increases flexibility of waist and hips
Pranayama if performed along with yoga asanas give better results for patients with fibromyalgia. The low amount of oxygen increases the intensity of pain. Pranayama improves the amount of oxygen in the body and reduces pain. Good breathing capacity makes the body stronger to overcome tension and pain.
- It helps in cleaning of brain, lungs and the whole body.
- It relieves depression.
It reduces levels of stress, anxiety, tension and frustration.
- This pranayama provides great relief to the patient from pain.
- This is one of the oldest relaxation techniques used.
- It works on Fibromyalgia patients by reducing physical and mental stress.
- While practicing meditation heartbeat and respiratory rate slows down, blood pressure takes a normal value, and oxygen is used efficiently by the body.
- The immune system of the body also gets improved.
- Meditation helps Fibromyalgia patients to relax and lead a healthy life.
- The mind becomes more balanced through meditation and the body acquires a good amount of energy.