4 Keys to Unlock the Truest Benefits of Operations Support System
Operation Support System (OSS) is an integral part of telecom operations. Along with Business Support System (BSS) and telecom billing platform, it performs vitally important functions for telcos and helps them achieve their periodic targets. To ensure that the OSS works as per the modern-day requirements, it needs to have cutting-edge features that are in line with today’s telecom operations.
The Evolution of Operation Support System
OSS is not a new paradigm. Conceptualized in the early 1970s, it has shaped and evolved to match the requirements of telecom operators. Erstwhile operations of OSS were performed manually, but they later became automatic by the mid-1970s. Integrally, OSS has four vital parts:
All these elements form an important part of a modern-day OSS, but the names and functions have changed. A cutting-edge Operations Support System has the following 4 layers that are related with the kind of operations it can perform:
- Network Management Layer
- Business Management Layer
- Service Management Layer
- Element Management Layer
In the present times, BSS and OSS functions are overlapping, which is why the platform as a whole is called B/OSS.
Integral Functions of an OSS Platform for Leveraging Telecom Functions
As the competition in the telecom industry increases, we are at a juncture where telcos need to be ready with state-of-the-art Operation Support System solutions to meet the pressing requirements. Have a look at some of the important functions of a telecom platform that can help you leverage telecom operations:
- Activation of features on the fly – Customers of today are restless, especially millennials who want nothing less than instant delivery of services. A present-day OSS should allow for activation of features as soon as a request is made: even better if the system allows for activation of plans and services via a self-service portal. Telgoo5 is a phenomenal operations support system platform that comes with complete self-service functionalities.
- Monitoring of service performance – It is vitally important for telcos to monitor service performance at all times to ensure the customers are getting the services exactly as per their expectations. An Operation Support System should incorporate this functionality to ensure proper monitoring of service performance.
- Tracking of customer usage of services – The service usage by customers need to be tracked at all times, so as to ensure they are not exceeding the allotted quota of services. An Online Charging System (OCS) tracks the service usage in real-time and enforces credit limit, which ensure that subscribers never overuse services and incur additional charges. At Telgoo5, you get an OCS that performs true real-time billing for ensuring proper and effective tracking of services.
APIs – Regardless of how well your Operations Support System works, there will be times when you would need to add new functionalities for accommodating future requirements. Application program interface, better known as APIs, allow for the addition of new functionalities without any need for overhauling or customizing the telecom services platform that you will be using. Telgoo5 is a versatile platform that comes with a multitude of APIs that are catered to meet the present and emerging requirements of telecom operators.
- APIs – Regardless of how well your Operations Support System works, there will be times when you would need to add new functionalities for accommodating future requirements. Application program interface, better known as APIs, allow for the addition of new functionalities without any need for overhauling or customizing the telecom services platform that you will be using. Telgoo5 is a versatile platform that comes with a multitude of APIs that are catered to meet the present and emerging requirements of telecom operators.